Sunday, July 30, 2017

I have an uneasy relationship with death

I write fiction. Used to REALLY write fiction a LOT. Sadly, the fire in my belly is almost out... mostly ashes and embers but there is still a little flame here and there...

One of the BIG themes I used to use a LOT in my fiction was Death as Humor. I slaughter people like bugs in my fiction and I usually try to make some sort of humorous slant of it... where the actual fact that 200 people were gutted like trout and their corpses desecrated is the PUNCHLINE...

It's not an easy line to walk. When I come across other people using death as humor in their fiction (be it written or visual (novel or movie :) )) I get a REAL uneasy feeling in my gut... So I have the feeling that others have at LEAST that feeling in THEIR gut when they read a story of mine, and how the HUMOROUS twist is the main character ends up eaten alive by space zombies.

It's... a weird twist and I am not sure WHY I always come back to it.

3 comments:

  1. I write hard sci-fi; the main theme I always use is THE LIMIT OF EVOLUTION and henever I start creating something new I can't break away from this theme. It's weird... My imagination always goes in that direction :)
    But there are other themes I use: other physics, parallel universes, other dimensions, and so called "multiverse".

    So yeah... my imagination is not only strange but also RICH.

    Have a FANTASTIC day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a VERY good thing to have a rich imagination. :) I don't know enough science to ever write hard sf- my stuff is BARELY above the level of science fantasy.

      But then, I used to synopses of my chapters by saying things like "And, through some insane plot device, our characters found themselves..." So it's hard for me to take even myself seriously :)

      Delete